CONSUMER PROTECTION GROUP (CPG) List of Products – Basic Necessities and Prime Commodities
Based on the Republic Act 7581 or the PRICE ACT and the RA 10623 or an Act Amending RA 7581, products in the market are classified according to basic necessities and prime commodities for proper implementation and monitoring of their prices and supplies.
A. The products classified as Basic Necessities and assigned to specific government departments are the following:
Basic necessities’ are goods vital to the needs of consumers for their sustenance and existence in times of any of the cases provided under Section 6 or 7 of the Price Act such as, but not limited to,
- Department of Agriculture (DA): rice, corn, cooking oil, fresh, dried and other marine products, fresh eggs, fresh pork, beef and poultry meat, fresh milk, fresh vegetables, root crops, sugar, fresh fruits*
- DTI: canned fish and other marine products, processed milk, coffee, laundry soap, detergent, candles, bread, salt, potable water in bottles and containers*, locallymanufactured instant noodles*
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR): firewood and charcoal
- Department of Health (DOH): drugs classified as essential by DOH
- Department of Energy (DOE)*:household liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), kerosene
B. The products classified as Prime Commodities and assigned to specific government departments are the following:
Prime Commodities’ are goods not considered as basic necessities but are essential toconsumers in times of any of the cases provided under Section 7 of the Price Act such as,but not limited to:
- DA – dried pork, dried beef and poultry meat, fresh dairy products not falling under basic necessities, onion, garlic, fertilizer, pesticides, herbicides, poultry, swine and cattle feeds, veterinary products for poultry, swine and cattle.
- DTI – flour, processed and canned pork, processed and canned beef and poultry meat, vinegar, patis, soy sauce, toilet soap, paper, school supplies, cement, clinker, GI sheets, hollow blocks, construction supplies, batteries, electrical supplies, light bulbs, steel wires
- DENR – plywood, ply board, nipa shingles, sawali
- DOH – drugs not classified as essential by DOH
*Based on RA 10623, An Act Amending RA 7581 or the Price Act